Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Causes
Women's Center of Health in Naperville and Plainfield, IL offer Genesys HTA to their patients. If you are suffering from heavy menstrual bleeding, contact us today to see if Genesys is the right treatment for you. We want to make it as convenient as possible for you to obtain the care you need. Schedule an appointment online or give us a call at (630) 416-3300.
Causes of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
There are several different causes of heavy menstrual bleeding.1,2 The most common of these are:
- Hormonal Imbalance - An imbalance of estrogen and progesterone - hormones that control the build up and monthly shedding of endometrium, the inner lining of the uterus - can lead to heavy periods.
- Uterine Fibroids and Polyps - These usually benign (noncancerous) growths can occur almost anywhere in the uterus. Fibroids and polyps may contribute to heavy periods.
- Infection - Infections of the uterus and cervix may cause heavy bleeding.
- Bleeding Disorders - Disorders that impair the blood from coagulating and clotting can result in excessive menstrual bleeding.1,3
- Uterine Cancer - A rare, but potential cause of heavy bleeding. For this reason, your doctor will determine the cause of your heavy bleeding before deciding on a treatment option.
Your physician will best be able to determine what is causing your heavy menstrual bleeding.
Content provided by Boston Scientific Corporation.
Go to www.genesyshta.com for additional information on the Genesys HTA™ System procedure.
1 Osei, J. Menorrhagia, mechanisms and targeted therapies. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005, 17: 411-418.
2 Burkman, R., Schlesselman, JJ., et al. Safety concerns and health benefits associated with oral contraception. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (2004) 190: S5-22.
3 Mayo Clinic information on Menorrhagia: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menorrhagia/DS00394